Unicode 7 in CentOS 7 TUI Code

I’m in the middle of developing a project in C which uses NCurses and Unicode 7+ characters. This has been working out great in macOS and Fedora 31 where I have been doing most of my testing. But in CentOS I have been having big problems getting the characters to render. This post goes into why and how to fix it.

Continue reading Unicode 7 in CentOS 7 TUI Code

Fixing an OpenSSL issue with Curl and Autotools

One project I created at MariaDB is libMariaS3 [source, documentation]. It is a lightweight simple LGPL licensed API to access Amazon S3 and compatible object storage implementations. We created it so that GPL v2.0 licensed projects could use S3 without the license incompatibility of Amazon’s Apache 2.0 licensed SDK.

MariaDB itself uses this for the new S3 storage engine coming in 10.5 and several other upcoming projects. I designed it to be easy to use for anyone outside of MariaDB just in case some other project would find it useful.

Continue reading Fixing an OpenSSL issue with Curl and Autotools

Solving my Intel GPU performance issues

For the last few days I had my laptop connected to an external monitor which has a 2560×1600 resolution. Whilst having a few websites open and doing a video chat the laptop completely ground to a halt with the fan going full speed.

My laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad X260 with an i7 CPU and 16GB RAM, so not really a lightweight which was why this was so unexpected. After trying some random things I have solved this. So I thought I would detail it here if only so I remember in the future.

Continue reading Solving my Intel GPU performance issues

Another week with KDE Plasma

At the beginning of the year I gave KDE Plasma a try as the primary desktop on one of my devices. It wasn’t my primary laptop but I still used it heavily in that time. I enjoyed it but there were still some niggles that meant I wouldn’t have been happy with it being my primary desktop at the time.

A week ago I happened to come across the announcement for KDE Plasma 5.14. The thing that really caught my eye there was the “Display Configuration widget”. This led me to giving KDE & Plasma another chance, another week of testing. Again this is on my primary laptop, a highly-sepecced Lenovo ThinkPad X260.

Continue reading Another week with KDE Plasma

MariaDB source visualisation with Gource

Gource is a tool which can take a source code tree and create beautiful visualisations out of it. I’ve used it a few times before for various projects. This weekend I spent a little bit of time playing with it and applying it to MairaDB Server to see what it would produce.

The end result can be seen on YouTube.

Continue reading MariaDB source visualisation with Gource